We all know that a good laugh and a long sleep are the two best cures for anything. Sleep is very important for the overall well being of a person. Aside from good food, sleep is playing a major role when it comes to our health. But, getting a long sleep is not enough — the way you sleep is very important. Bad sleeping position could damage your body.
Even if you have the most comfortable pillow or mattress in the world — there are some mornings when you will wake up with a sore body especially your shoulders, neck and back even if you sleep eight or nine hours because the quality of their sleep is poor. Sleeping should make you feel refreshed not tired!
There is a lot you can do to get a better night’s sleep and feel refreshed when you awake. It’s called “sleep hygiene” and refers to those routine and environmental factors that are critically essential for sound sleep. And most of it is under your control.
• Eliminate caffeine and alcohol, especially at night.
• Get regular exercise, but not right before bed.
• Don’t go to bed hungry or after eating a large meal.
• Make the bedroom a bedroom, a place to sleep. Don’t read or watch TV in bed. Remove all other stimulants from the bedroom, including work and bills.
• Go to bed and get up at the same time every day, also on weekends. “Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.”
• And most especially, check your sleeping position. The biggest thing that we should take in consideration is the curves in the spine: the upper and lower back, and also the neck. Avoid sleeping on your stomach because it nearly impossible to keep your spine in a neutral position.
If you suffer with shoulder, neck and/or back pain, consult with your chiropractor for a comprehensive evaluation and treatment recommendations. Simple and safe chiropractic procedures can cure back pain and provide precautionary care as well.